Friday, March 30, 2007

Table Topper


I just finished this table topper for my Mom as a housewarming gift for her new apt in the assisted living facility. It will cheer her up with the bright colors and brighten up her new digs. I didn't do any fancy quilting, a SITD and 1/4" outline inside the seams.

Tomorrow we start cleaning out her trailer getting it ready to rent. I get to do the sewing room which is packed full of fabric that would take 10 lifetimes to stitch up. There's quilt tops, blocks, strips and squares all cut and ready to assemble. She's has decided she doesn't want her sewing machine at her new place. She says she can't see to sew anymore. She's sewed all her life, made herself and all 6 of us girls our clothes and wedding gowns. It's sad to see her admit that a big part of her life is gone. Today I asked if her she could still see well enough to knit or crochet a baby afaghan for her new GGbaby to be and she asked me if I was left handed so I would be able to finish if she was unable to.

The past 15 years has seen lots of changes for Mom. She's had to give up driving, her art work, sewing, and now her home. She used to be so full of life, never at home, always on the go. She was one that was ready to hit the road at a moments notice off on some trip with friends, a day of shopping, a quilt show, her quilt group, a day spent at my house, daily lunches at the senior center, card games with friends and always Sunday Mass.

I'm ashamed to say in the last 5 years I haven't spent the time I should have with her. I had my own agenda as did my siblings. They had their family, their grandkids, their life. We never once gave thought to the many long nights or weekends she spent alone feeling unloved and unwanted. This was brought home to me today when my GF and I went to visit her. She made the comment "they love me and want me, her kids". I'm going to be a better daughter in her last years than I have been.

4 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Those are such bright cheery colors on the table topper, I'm sure she'll like it. Spend time with her now before it is too late. I don't have the opportunity with my mom as she & dad died when I was 25. My auntie, tho, is alone and I go to visit about 2x a month. Cherish your time with her as it will slip away.

Kim said...

I'm in a similar position with both my parents. It sounds like your mom will do okay though. Enjoy the time you have together and hang in there!

Patti said...

It's a total shock to suddenly realize your mother is OLD, and that the roles of caregiver and child have almost reversed. How well I remember, even though my mother has been gone now for 15 years. How lucky you are that you realized this while you can still spend time with her - many are not so fortunate. The table topper is lovely - I'm sure she will really enjoy it.

YankeeQuilter said...

That table topper will certainly brighten up her room! I'm glad to hear she is adjusting to her new environment. I wouldn't pack away her sewing machine just yet...