Monday, March 26, 2007



My weekend disappeared on me. I had Leaf Seasons all sandwiched and was ready to have another go at machine quilting. Late Friday afternoon as I was standing by the cutting table chopping up little squares out of big scraps when the phone rang and my sister let me know my mother had fallen . She had been taken to the hospital and thought to have had a stroke and in the fall fractured her hip. My BIL had found her mid morning laying in the bathroom after being called when she didn't answer the door for her daily ride on the handicap bus to the Seniour Center. 911 called, a ride to the hospital, MRI and CAT scan done. No stroke, no fracture. My Mom is 92 and lives alone when she shouldn't have been but too independant and stubborn to move into Assisted Living. We don't know for sure how long she had been there but she said all night long. We do know she was in different clothes than she had worn the day before. It's a terrible way to finally realize she no longer is able to live alone. We are all relieved she didn't injure herself more than a nasty bruise and a couple days of observation in the hospital.


She's been afraid for months that she would fall and nobody would find her for days. This was a real wake up call for her. She knows she can't live alone anymore.


We called the Assisted Living she had mentioned she would like to go to when the time came. Fortunately one of my sisters and I had toured the place a couple months ago and were very impressed with the owners and staff. We called them on Saturday. The director came in special to give 5 of my siblings and I a tour. On Sunday the director came in again when we found out she had to be discharged but needed 24 hour supervision. Arrangements were made, we rented a U-Haul and set up her new digs with enough of her personal belongings and furniture before checking her out of the hospital.


Mom has a lovely apartment. The living room is bigger than mine with a large bedroom, bath and small kitchen (micro, fridge, coffee pot and toaster). When we brought her in, she looked around and said "this is so big". Today I went to check and see how she had managed through the night. When I took her down to the dining room, 3 of her friends who she's played pinochle with for years and have moved there came in and were so happy to see her. While I was out arranging for the beautician to come do her hair she let my GF know "she thinks she's going to like it there". She saw a poster on the wall saying there was to be a poetry reading later in the afternoon and decided she might like that. I think this will add to her life, being around others and not sitting home night after night and on weekends alone.


I think she will have more company now that she's moved. Her home as with a lot of our elderly was so cluttered up you couldn't find a place to sit down without shoveling stuff to the floor. She wouldn't let her friends visit only family because she was embarassed at not being able to keep it clean, yet wouldn't throw or give away anything. Now we all will go visit her more often.



Lady, approving Leaf Seasons for comfort factor.
Gratitudes
My mom not seriously hurting herself when she fell
No rain yesterday during the move
Daffodils starting to bloom
Spring on the way
My siblings, BIL's and nephews responding when needed

3 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I'm so glad things are working out for your Mom. Sounds like the AL place you found for here will work out well. Nice that she already has friends there.

Catherine said...

So sorry about your mother. What a scare. I am so glad that she was found soon enough. My husbands grandfather is another stubborn 92 old living alone. He fell on his steps going into his house. I hope that she is in good spirits. Best, Catherine

Sharon said...

I'm glad to hear that your mother is fine & appears to be settling in well. . .my MIL fought us tooth & nail about going into assisted living. . and then ended up having to go into the hospital due to medical complications & the only care facility we could get her into once she was released was a nursing home that is not near as nice as where we were trying for.

Keep up the good work with the machine quilting. . .I keep reading enough blogs of brave souls & I might decide to take the plunge myself!