Wednesday, May 03, 2006

59 Stars "N" Trails


and growing. I've been working in my yard and the lot so haven't been stitching the past couple weeks. Was good to get back to the machine and finish 15 of the remaining 17 blocks today. The temporary wall got to small to hang all these blocks and my living room floor space can't quite hold them either. I've not set it in stone as each time I lay it out I tweek it a bit more. I'm finally seeing some light at the end of this long tunnel. Tomorrow I can finish the last two big blocks, lay them out for the last time and stitch rows together. I'm thankful my Grandson lives in CA where it is HOT during the summer as it's going to take some time to hand quilt this monster. Thank you everyone for all the lovely comments.



I no sooner picked up all the blocks, went for a cold drink when "Lady" claimed them for herself and settled in for a snooze. LOL


I learned a valuable lesson this past week. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it. Last summer I decided the tension on my machine needed a good cleaning. Armed with directions I disasembled it down to nuts and bolts. Getting it back together wasn't easy and I could never get it adjusted properly so fought with it being either too loose or two tight....puckers in everything I stitched. Nothing I tried worked and finally last week called my OSMG to rescue me and the SM. After an hour of working, he packed it up and off he went. Three days later, he returned, machine under his arm all repaired, serviced and shining, installed it back in it's cabinet, sat me down and what a difference. Stitching is again pleasureable. My SM is a seniour citizen, a Chevy to the Cadillac's of today, a trusy old workhorse that will last a lifetime if taken care of properly. Don, my OSMG is a delight, he's 80 if he's a day, was a pilot during WWII. Retired after owning a Singer shop for 50 years and built a 800 sq ft shop to house the remenants of his business as well as 50+ antique SM's. He does house calls and if he can repair your machine without taking it back to the shop he does. His fee's are reasonable, lives down the street from me, does pick up and delivery for free. I hope he never retires.

5 comments:

Kim West said...

Your Stars N trails is beautiful! I love the colors!

Laurie Ann said...

This quilt is absolutely georgous! I am really enjoying seeing it all come together. It really is funny how all cats are the same in how they'll lay on whatever new soft pile is around. Looks like a nice nap!

Laura said...

Your stars n trails is going to be one gorgeous quilt!

ForestJane said...

The quilt is lovely!

And the cat-napper looks pretty comfy too! I'm always amazed that no matter how much soft stuff (cushions, throws, carpet, etc.)there is to sleep on, they always want the fabric.

The Calico Cat said...

Lovely quilt, I love the 4 green stars... Lucky gal to have a SM guy so close and so talented!

CUTE KITTY! (mine act the same & your girl looks a bit like my boy!)