Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter


Happy Easter Sunday. Hope your holiday was spent enjoying your family get togethers. Mine was spent working on these goofy stars and trails.
I finally rigged up a temporary design wall. Setting these blocks diagonally is way beyond my comfort zone. I'm used to straight up and down sets. Diagonal has taxed my brain each time I lay them down. Trying to figure a CA king from a twin size has been one big fat challenge. Should I make it 6 down, 6 across or ????? My cheat book says to do 5 and 5 with a 12" border to make 110 x 110. I don't need a border. What to do? What to do? How big is a CA King anyway?

I've been pulling the fabrics willy nilly out of the bin and am coming up with some pretty strange looking combinations. The over all effect isn't bad but it sure is scrappy. I hope my Grandson and his Fiance like it as much as his sister does. It's been so satisfying to get back at the machine and stitch away while listening to Toby Keith. It's been awhile.

John was to come home for a three day weekend. He hasn't been home in two weeks and now I don't know when I'll see him. He might be gone a week or three. He called saying the ship had to get underway. The under ocean telephone cable had a break somewhere down off the coast of Oregon. His ship had to go fish it out, repair or replace it, I don't know which but I'm alone this holiday weekend. A good time to stitch and catch up on the blogs. While I don't comment too often, I do read them daily.

Many thanks for all the suggestions of what to do with the Windmill Quilt. While I would love to pull it apart and redo that center, fabric paint the sky or even embelish it some, I'm afraid I would hurt my sister's feelings beyond thinking as she is very sensitive, doesn't like confrontations and cries easily. I'm sure my cousin ran right over her with her suggestions.

9 comments:

Quiltgranny said...

Well, I LOVE this quilt - and the on point thing does tax your brain, but it's good exercise for it! You asked about the size of a CA king? According to my books a regular King (or Eastern King is 102"X 88 and a California King is 110"X 98".

We have a California King with a HUGE depth to the mattress, so I make any quilt for it a minimum of 88" X 110". I put the quilt sideways on the bed to make it go right. Then I either make pillowcases or cheat and buy pillowcases that I trim with some of the left over fabrics or blocks on the cuff of the pillowcase. That way I don't have to make the quilt another 20" in one direction for a pillowroll!

I wouldn't put a border on this quilt unless YOU want to. I would just keep making the blocks. An easy way to figure the size of a block on point is that it is 1.5 times the size of a block on square.

I love the image of pulling fabrics willy nilly-I hope it is also with joy and abandonment! Looks like an exciting progress so far!

Joanne said...

Shakespeare's coming together quite nicely, I think! 'Course, I do love scrappy! (Oh, and I had troubles going around the corners when I laid mine out, too! -- had to do some serious thinking!)

ForestJane said...

Adore all the blues and greens in your snail's trail, it's going to be beautiful no matter what size you end up making it!

Patti said...

I think this quilt is turning out beautifully. I love the scrappyness of it. It doesn't matter if some of the combinations of fabrics and colors feel a little wierd - it's the overall look that counts. Some incredibly beautifully scrappy quilts are made with some incredibly ugly fabrics!

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely lovely. Congrats on working outside your comfort zone- it's working well!!!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE your snails trail/star quilt so far! This is the quilt we are doing for our quilt guild raffle quilt, but in all blues and creams. I like your version much better! I LOVE it!

Nines said...

Wow!! I remember when you only had a few stars and now this! It's gorgeous. Love the scrappy look. And it is funny how tipping a block tips our brains and we suddenly have a brain cramp. Sorry that the family auction quilt isn't turning out as you hoped. But in the scheme of things, it's just a detail. I like the applique... Your mom is still loved and the quilt might make some one very happy. you never know about some people. Hope your honey makes it home soon.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Love the color and spark of this quilt - gorgeous.

Pink and Barbara said...

What a lovely quilt. I can understand that you need the designwall to keep the colors from being "right". Thank you for sharing. I emailed a link to my best friend who loves blue's!